Using Mods

Home Forums Support Using Mods

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Radu 2019-05-11 at 8:22 pm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Runeshadow
    Runeshadow
    Participant

When the game is live on Steam, will there be a Workshop interface on the Library page along with the screenshot uploader? Or how will we get and use uploaded mods?

Radu
    Radu
    Creator

You’d go directly on the Gaia Steam workshop (I think you CAN access it from the Library), look at whatever mod you want to download and click on the little green + next to it, called the ‘Subscribe’ button. The mod will then be downloaded automatically into game and you’ll be able to turn it on or off in the mods list in the main menu!

I’m currently working on making it possible to not have to restart the game to refresh the mod list every time you download one. It’s working, but it’s a bit wonky! It’s a little annoying right now because Steam doesn’t fully support this whole workshop thing without the game going live, so I sadly can’t test every thing concerning it. In theory it should work though, at least that’s what other devs have been saying haha

Runeshadow
    Runeshadow
    Participant

cool, ya that’s how it works in Empyrion. There’s an interface on the Library page. I had quite a few bases and ships on there, mostly obsolete now. It was really fun to create stuff for beginners and non-builders who just wanted to dive into the exploration or combat.

My hope would be to first increase my IQ. +200 or so should do it. Then, master modding and adding my own base to the game, complete with some assemblers and some cabinets and starting supplies.

Do you think it will be possible to upload to the workshop an entire game file? Empyrion has what they call a “scenario”. Players download the scenario, and the game starts up as normal, except all the modded-in items are there.

That would make it possible to create an “Advanced Start” with bases in various advanced states. Even dungeons and non-combat, or deco POIs.

Even if modding proves to be beyond my abilities. Perhaps building a base in the game normally, then uploading that savegame to the workshop somehow as an alternative game-start.

Radu
    Radu
    Creator

Mods have no size limit on Steam, except I think like 100GB but nobody is going to reach that realistically. Even the most complex COD games are ~60GB in size while Gaia is a mere 2.8 GB haha. So you can literally upload a separate game on Gaia, to run either with it or along side it.

Yes definitely possible to do all that and you don’t need that high of an IQ hahaha. Especially your last point about uploading saves to the workshop which could act as templates. That would take a maximum of 50 lines of code. All you’d need is to transfer your 4 save files into the mod project and write some code to read those 4 files in the mod at startup, create 4 new files and copy the original 4 into them and then move them into the Savefiles folder of Gaia. You’ve been there, it’s where the output.txt file is located ^^ And there you go, you have an alternative start mod. If you add a few more lines of code, you could make it so that you can upload a much larger number of save files without modifying the base code every time you want to do that.

File I/O is usually taught in the very early stages of any programming language and this would be very similar to that.

You can already start modding since you own the game btw! You just can’t upload to the Steam workshop yet. If you want to test your own mods without the workshop, simply transfer your mod into a new folder called ‘Mods’ in the place where you find the outputlog.txt file. That’s what the workshop kinda does, but in another folder haha. I’ll look into making the workshop public some time next week, after I polish a few more things about it so that other people can test out whatever weird stuff goes through their minds when thinking about mods.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.