Love the Tempest

Home Forums General Discussion Love the Tempest

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Runeshadow 2019-05-23 at 3:04 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Runeshadow
    Runeshadow
    Participant

I just love how that ship looks inside. That is how I want my base to look inside. How does that work? Is the Tempest created the same way buildings are- panels and sockets?

It would be awesome to have panels with those textures and colors. Is that a possibility within the game’s framework? A job for the Mod Squad?

Radu
    Radu
    Creator

I designed the interior of the ship myself with a different set of textures and models. There’s no panels or sockets or anything fancy like that, it’s just a good old fashioned ‘level’ done in the editor like most static games.

It’s definitely possible to add some, not all, of those panels to the normal building procedure, but I haven’t thought about it before. The build menu already contains lots of stuff, so where would the new stuff go? Different build menus maybe? Modders could also definitely add or replace some current panels with the one from the Tempest, but I haven’t made that part of the code public yet so they’ll have to hack their way around it if they really want to access the Tempests panels!

Runeshadow
    Runeshadow
    Participant

Wow awesome, great job on that ship! I miss designing ships like that. <poutface> Playing Empyrion, I got requests from war factions on pvp servers who needed specific designs. I ended up playing as an arms dealer of sorts, never getting too involved in their wars, and playing both sides :D that’s where my faction and faux company came from. LOL i digress

So I actually haven’t seen a game yet that puts an emphasis on building while using the panel and socket system. I have high hopes for Breathedge and Gaia :) Gaia in Unity, and Breathedge in Unreal, so it is really cool the opportunities there.

Subnautica and Animallica use prefab buildings, then you can place items inside. It is very clunky and the placed items always look “stuck-on” rather than blending in, looking like they belong there. No real build menus there, you make items at the various craft stations.

Block-style games have the menus set up for block shapes and devices, so they get super deep with expanding radial menus. Casual players do sometimes get bogged down in complex building setups, so it is definitely something to consider. But like you said, the building features in Gaia are meant for late-game. Like an over-the-top playground for players who just want to hang out in the game. So I would not fear making the menus more complex

Builder types like me are the minority in survival games, so take a grain of salt. But there are thousands of builders in Empyrion, Space Engineers, Rising World and those are the players who log thousands of hours in their games. Hard core survivalists and combat enthusiast will log a few hundred and that’s awesome too.

Modders have turned car mechanic simulator from a cold, lifeless sim into an awesome car-collectors wonderland. So high hopes for that community as well

Great ship, tho. that one would be right at home in empyrion or space engineers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.